Wednesday, September 28, 2005

John Thompson


1. I'm against use, under any foreseeable conditions, of eminent
domain for econ dev purposes. Period.

2. The main issues for Ogden appear to be the Rec Center, the Gondola,
and Econ Dev. These are Ogden's issues but are not mine necessarily.
I would, if elected, devote my time to basic, fundmental services and
programs I believe city government should perform.

This being said, if the Rec Ctr isnt resolved by Jan when the new
coucilmembers take their seat, I'll study whatever issue is before me and
make a vote using my best judgment, research, etc. Concerning the
gondola, I have heard a lot of rumors but the latest, accurate info I believe
is from the mayor's editoral a few weeks ago where he said that right
now it seems the first leg group would only be asking for right of way
along whatever city streets they want to put the gondola, right now,
23rd St. My initial reaction to this is I'm supportive if 1) they buy the
right of way at a fair price and 2) the city come to an agreement with
them as to a fair tax or fee either on a monthly or yearly basis. This
project has a long ways to go with many questions, details, proposals,
and recommendations to be decided, worked out.

My personal efforts other than the above would be to improve city
services, improve neighborhoods, concentrate on small businesses within the
down town area. I believe these efforts would be much more cost
effective and if the image of Ogden improves as to making it a better, less
costly place to live and raise a family, this will improve our economic
climate. Until someone can tell or explain to me what economic dev and
revitalization means as to money, improvements, etc, I'm not going to
pretend I know anything about big redevelopment, RDA, building projects
and how its going to bring back those 'glory' days of Ogden.

Thanks for the questions.

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved