Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Ozboy Parade Critique

Does any one here abouts know who was in charge of the parade yesterday?

It was the worst Ogden Pioneer Day Parade I have ever been to in 50 plus years. It was way late starting, perhaps an hour if it truly was supposed to start at 9AM. There were many many large gaps in the parade that added at least another hour to what became an ordeal. Some gaps in the parade were whole blocks, several were multiple blocks between entrants.

I do not mean to denigrate the participation of the large number of people in the parade, but who ever was in charge at the beginning was apparently incompetent. I understand Doug Stevens was in charge from the Council involvement, but he was in a car at the very beginning and so was not responsible for these large gaps. The net effect of the gaps was the parade lasting much longer, in the hot sun, than it should have been.

It was also disappointing to see so many pleasure boats in the parade. It looked like the road to Peterson Marine! Since when is a boat a suitable float in a pioneer day parade? Also what's with the pick up trucks pulling big work trailers with construction, and other company names on them. Are they really what people who spent hours of their time to watch a parade wanting to see? Hell, you can see all that pedestrian crap any day of the week on any road in town.

I watched from the front of the Descente bldg. I was surrounded by the entire Geiger family! Proud Papa Curt and Mrs. Geiger presided over their clan. The men (and the boys) are all handsome, the women are all pretty and the kids are cute as a bug. A fine looking family, and their biggest cheer was for the group from the Davinci academy, a scraggly looking bunch of floatless teenagers for sure.

I actually felt safe in the midst of the Geiger clan, although none of them would make eye contact with me, even Bob who I know and like!

The Man and Wife that runs the little cafe in that bldg were very cordial and welcoming to every one. They passed out yummy and free chocolate chip cookies to all regardless of color or Gondola creed. They also graciously lent the use of their bathrooms to all in need. I know I will eat at their place any chance I get in the future, and I strongly urge all reading this to do the same. These are the kind of people that make Ogden great.

And speaking of toilets, what is the deal with the entire parade with its many thousands of participants and viewers having such a dearth of porta potties? There was a four holer at 25th and Washington and a single one at 26th. These are all I could find between 23rd and 27th! Five pissers for 50 thousand people including numerous old men who started to get nervous when the cold reality of a pisser shortage started to hit home! Was this some sort of money saving plan of the mayor's? Was the parade boss at the start another incompetent and unqualified friend of Matt? Was it my imagination, or is this great Ogden institution going down those scarce pissers under Godfrey?

I wished I had gone to the Salt Lake parade instead. It seems like a sad situation when the best thing I found at the parade was a very gracious and generous cafe owner!

Oh, I also enjoyed all the horse's asses that were showing off their horse's asses, but I really felt sorry for that one little horse that was being ridden by the 400 pound lard ass cowboy! Where was the SPCA on that one?

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved