Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dirk Youngberg - Council Candidate

Ogden City Council At-Large Seat "A"

I am running for this office because, I feel the training, knowledge and experience that I have received during my twenty-two years of service to the community with the Ogden Fire Department, have qualified me to serve the community as a very effective Council member in improving the quality of life for the residents. Now is the time for me to give back to the community that has helped me successfully raise my family.

We need HONESTY, OPENNESS and LEADERSHIP in our local government. I am committed and will bring these qualities to our city government. The taxpayers have a right to know how their tax dollars are being used. The taxpayers need to be FULLY informed about the projects that City Officials are involved with. The city’s business should NOT be conducted in private.

I AM CONCERNED ABOUT:

1) PUBLIC SAFETY: The citizens deserve (and pay for) no less than the best equipped and trained Fire and Police Departments. However, in reality, both Fire and Police Departments are under-staffed; equipment is old and insufficient; funding for training is inadequate. I will work hard to correct these problems to provide a safer community in which to live.

2) THE CITY’S DETERIORATING INFRASTRUCTURE: Time-worn and leaking water pipes, an aged and problematic sewer system, and the condition of our roads. These problems should have been addressed years ago. It is critical now that they are addressed and money be budgeted to repair and replace equipment and roads in order to ensure a livable environment now and in the future.

3) PRESERVATION OF OUR OPEN/GREEN SPACE: I will work hard to preserve the many open spaces that we enjoy including, the parks, the golf courses, the trail systems, and the many other outdoor recreational amenities.

4) THE CONTINUANCE OF OUR GROWING ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: I will work hard to increase our economic development in order to broaden our tax base and ease the tax burden on our families. I propose to do it in a way that will not increase the debt that has been accumulated under the present administration. Ogden City has the 3rd highest property tax rate in Utah; and is the 2nd highest city in property taxes of the 30 largest cities in Utah. This is alarming and unacceptable!

I favor enforcement of our housing standards to help protect our citizens and property values.

If you share some or all of my concerns, VOTE for me September 11, 2007 for the Council At Large Seat A.

Call or email me: 801-540-6299 -- dirk4citycouncil@comcast.net

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved