Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Councilwoman Wicks Incident Statement

On Saturday, September 1, 2007 at approximately 15:00, I turned southbound onto Polk Avenue from 31st Street in my vehicle. As I was proceeding south along Polk Avenue, I noticed a yellow Nissan Frontier compact pickup (with Utah license plates and several very large "DNA" and "Descente" stickers) parked on the east side of the street at 3130 Polk Avenue. The truck's tailgate was down and the hard cover over the truck bed was slightly ajar. I believe the truck belongs to Robert Geiger, as the truck is outfitted with logos of the company he works for and I am familiar with him from numerous appearances at Ogden City Council meetings and have seen him in the truck on several previous occasions. As I drove past the truck, I noticed Robert Geiger standing on the lawn of the front yard at 3130 Polk Avenue with one of my campaign signs in his hands.

I stepped on my brakes upon seeing this situation and rapidly came to stop in the middle of the road. I put my vehicle into "park" and remained seated with the driver's door window down and waited for Mr. Geiger to notice that I was watching his activity. After a few seconds Mr. Geiger looked up, made eye contact and proceeded to offer an explanation for why he had my sign in his hands. He stated that my sign had fallen and he was putting it back up. A voice from the passenger in Mr. Geiger's truck loudly said "dude, there's no way she's going to believe that". I only responded with "right". I watched Mr. Geiger place my sign back into the ground and then proceeded south along Polk Avenue to my destination.

I am quite concerned about this situation, as Mr. Geiger is not affiliated with my campaign in any way and has no reason to be concerned with the upright placement of my signs. In fact, he has been somewhat vocal with public criticism regarding my service as a member of the Ogden City Council.

I have had several requests for replacement signs from supporters who have had my campaign signs disappear from their yards on days without much wind.

If you have any questions regarding this incident, please contact me at 801.510.2409 or 801.627.3399

Amy Wicks

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved