Sunday, September 02, 2007

John Thompson - Mayoral Candidate

Greetings, fellow Ogden City citizens. My name is John Thompson, and I'm running for the office of Ogden City Mayor.

I'm 58 yrs old; married to the same wonderful lady for 40 yrs. I have three grown children, a son residing in Ogden, and daughters living in Nevada and California.

I graduated from Ogden High School, attended Weber State University (History & Political Science) and Webster University (Management and Human Relations). I've also been a member of various volunteer groups and advisory committees thru the years.

My main career was serving as a US Marine, retiring in 1992. I've had various jobs since then, but currently, and for the last 8 years have been with the state of Utah as a child support enforcement agent (trying to collect child support; not knocking down doors, just using a computer and trying to garnish wages).

My main issue, and how I'd run a Thompson administration, is based on what I was taught in schools. The executive (mayor) executes the laws passed by the legislature (council). I have opinions and positions on anything, from strong to weak to excited to indifferent. I have no personal agenda except to have the finest, best run administration in the country. The council sets policy, direction, and determines the public's interest; I, as the mayor, follow that direction and within the resources allocated, do the best I can in accomplishing those goals and objectives.

No money -- I won't accept contributions (maybe in the general but not now), and so you probably haven't seen too many signs around. If not term limits, I'm a firm believer in consecutive term limits. My campaign finance platform would be that only voters (or possible voters) can give to a personal campaign but they can give as much as they want.

I would only offer changes, revisions in laws on the books to enhance enforcement due to the law being out dated or the enforcement methods being outdated. Otherwise, all recommendations and changes to policy, law, resolutions -- what the city should or shouldn't be involved in -- should start at the council level. The mayor, and administration, should be the honest brokers, the mediators, the neutral party and provide unbiased and factual information as to the city being involved in any proposal.

The economy is a big issue but way out of my league. If you want to call in an air strike or know how to set up an ambush, I'm your man. But this area is beyond, now, my expertise. I would support and try to enforce all zoning and ordinance laws as to the safety, health, and security currently on the books. Doing this, I believe, would lend the city to a safer and better place to live and encourage residents to move and live here. Doing this, at a cheaper cost than currently being undertaken, would attract businesses, shoppers, and additional traffic to downtown along with current residents.

I hope this helps as to what I'd plan to do as mayor. I Appreciate the opportunity to provide something, and sorry it is late.

Sincerely,

John H. Thompson
Email: jthompson@utah.gov
Telephone: 801-621-1808

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved