Sunday, October 18, 2009

Patrick Dean - A Few Words About Myself.....,

Good Evening Weber County Forum Readers:

Just a note to let you know a little about myself. My name is Patrick Dean, and I'm running in the 2009 Ogden City Municipal Election for the Ogden City Council Ward 3 Seat.

I was born in Renton, Washington in 1958 to Edward J. and Mary J. Dean. I’m the fifth child out of Eight, yes you don’t need to ask! My parents didn’t have a T.V. My dad was born in Ely, Nevada and raised in Ogden, his father, my grandfather was born on 28th street just below Washington Blvd. All three of us graduated from St Joseph Schools. So you can see that my roots run deep in the earth we affectingly call “O” town. Having grown up in the heart of Central Ogden, that being 25th and Jefferson. My first job was being a newspaper carrier for the Ogden Standard-Examiner….also sometimes call by my father the “Ogden Substandard Exaggerator”, but they are still a part of what made me a hard working young Lad that respected his elders. Having a mother that was from the northwest and raised a good Catholic girl, she instilled in me a strong work ethic and more importantly a since of humility and honor.

“ Thanks Mom and Dad for being my rock…..”

I worked various jobs from picking fruit and topping onions at 14 years old, to working at McDonalds through high school. Following my graduation from high school I attended Mt. Angel Seminary College in St. Benedict, Oregon. Coming to the conclusion that maybe the Priesthood was not the right fit for me, I returned to Utah, or should I say Salt Lake City, where I attended the University of Utah part time and worked a full time job a Sears & Roebuck.

While advancing in the Managerial ranks at a rather young age, I looked around and saw the faces of my counter parts in other management positions. What I saw scared me !!! So I decided to see the world…. I joined the Air Force. Completed basic training and Tech school in Technical Graphic illustrator. My first duty assignment was Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan for 18 month. Returning to the states and being assigned to Altus Air Force Base in Altus Oklahoma. This is where I met the Love of my Life and my partner for the last 26 year… Chihyon “Jina” Dean.

While in Oklahoma we had two sons, Robert and Nicholas. In 1984 after finishing my military obligation we relocated back to Ogden… moving into the old family home at 2560 Jefferson. Being the shy individual that I was I was able to find work the second day back home from the military, that when I truly knew I was blessed. I worked with Case, Lowe & Hart A/E, an Architectural/Engineering firm for the next 4 years honing my Drafting and Design. Falling victim to the Commercial building slump of 1988, I found myself layed off and out of work.

Being the unmotivated individual that I am, I decided to go back to my retail roots and bought a small neighborhood Grocery Store, better known to our community as the Pennywise Market, located on the corner of Canyon Road, Gramercy & 16th Street. My wife and I ran the market for another four years, until the State of Utah made a change to the Keg Beer Law, thus crippling us to the point that we decided it would be best to close the store. We had also added two more children to the equation Danny and Mina…. Mom finally got her Girl….. With the closing of the Family run Market my wife and I were both blessed to find work very quickly myself at Weber County for the next 12 years in the Engineering Department and my beloved bride at St. Benedicts Hospital. We lived above the old market, before purchasing a home directly across the street... where we still reside to this day…..

In 2004, I was fortunate to land a position with the Ogden-Weber Tech. College as a Project Manager, then being promoted to my present position as the Facilities Director.

I am and have been very active in the Ben Lomond Community currently serving as the Ben Lomond High school Boosters President, and as the President of a Non-Profit Corporation, known as the Ben Lomond Youth Sport Assoc., Sponsoring the Youth tackle football program in the Ben Lomond District, as well as indoor soccer, and Basketball. I’m also active in the Knights of Columbus, a Church organization that works to help various community as well as church project’s in the central Ogden Area.

Please check out my web page at votepatdean.com for more insight into how I think and feel about our great city…….

Just want to set the record straight…. I’m not what you would call a Godfreyite by any means, I’m not with either side specifically. I am first and foremost on the side of the Citizens of this Great City……. Together we can make the Little Town Shine…

Thanks again for the opportunity to tell my story……

Patrick “Pat” Dean
861 16th Street
Ogden, Utah 84404
Ph: 801-791-1741
votepatdean@votepatdean.com

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved