Saturday, October 22, 2005

Dorrene Jeske, At-Large Seat B

EMAIL: jeske4ogden@comcast.net

If you would like to help with my campaign, be on the campaign committee, or talk about issues, please email me at the above address.

I feel that I will be able to make beneficial contributions as a Council Member, because of my experience and training. My bosses will be the citizens/residents of Ogden, and I will seek your input on issues. I will be able to vote independently as I am obligated only to the residents of Ogden. Others who know me and have confidence in my ability have come to me and encouraged me to seek a seat on the Council.

As I've been campaigning, most of the following issues have constantly been raised. Since they seem to be a concern to the majority, I will address them here.

I support:

Business development of the old mall site. If the high adventure recreation center has been started by January 1, 2006, I will support it with all my energy even though I believe it doesn't have the potential to bring the revenue to downtown Ogden that an outlet mall does. My preference is: An open outdoor outlet mall in the same old 1900s architectural theme as Historic 25th Street and restaurants with outdoor tables and large umbrellas, policemen walking their beat or an officer on his horse patrolling the area. The beautiful historic Episcopal Church with its expanded gardens would be a great enhancement to the outlet mall. More movies and TV shows would be filmed in Ogden. EVERYONE loves bargains and EVERYONE shops! EVERYONE in Ogden could use the outlet mall and it would draw more people from the "Top of Utah," Idaho and Wyoming more often than the high adventure rec center. Tourists and skiers would enjoy the quaint atmosphere and return. I believe that we could attract the outlet stores and have them build to the turn of the century theme with minor enticements. We wouldn’t have to bond for 25 years to build a facility and buy equipment for private businesses. The Ogden City School District and Weber County, surrounding communities and Ogden, itself, would not be denied tax revenue as they will with the rec center.

A cooperative Smithsonian Institute Railroad Museum at Union Station. This could bring as many as 2 million visitors* a year to Ogden who would eat, and shop in downtown Ogden if we seize the opportunity to have an outlet mall before Layton or Riverdale do.

Our fire and police departments: I will work to staff them at the required safety levels, and ensure they receive required training and quality safety equipment to guarantee their safety as much as possible.

I will honor the "checks and balance" concept of State Law that governs Ogden, and will do everything possible to ensure the Council accepts and performs its responsibility on behalf of the citizens of Ogden to apply those principles in all dealings with the Mayor’s office.

A GONDOLA: Too many questions are unanswered to make a wise and appropriate decision. Let's receive a plan, review it and then decide after input from affected property owners whether it will be worth it, but no matter what, I cannot condone taxpayer money being used to build and fund it, because it will never meet requirements for mass transit.

I do not support:

Eminent Domain.
To me it is "Un-American" and unconscionable!

Using taxpayer dollars to fund private businesses and buy their equipment! It’s immoral!

Unethical severance pay agreements! Reid's severance package and rehiring is an insult to the people of Ogden!

The City competing with tax-paying businesses. Another occasion where taxpayers are being cheated out of tax revenue as the city is tax-exempt.

Gambling with Ogden's future -- Pledging the income from BDO for the next 25 years that is earmarked for capitol improvements for an aging community to cover a risky business venture managed by two even riskier business owners. It's scary and ridiculous!

I WILL WORK TO RESOLVE THESE ISSUES!

WILL YOU VOTE TO RESOLVE THEM WITH ME?

A little personal history: My family moved from Logan to Ogden in 1954. I graduated from Ogden High School, and attended Weber Jr. College on a scholarship. My major was business. I married Hartmut "Harry" Jeske, March of 1960. We have four sons, all of whom graduated from Ben Lomond HS, 14 grandchildren, who are the light of my life, and three great grandchildren.

I have spent my whole adult life serving our community:

1970 - Present: Den Leader to Council Cub Training Chair, currently District Special Events Co-Chair with Harry; awarded the District Award of Merit & Silver Beaver; earned my Wood Badge Beads.

1966 - 1997: PTA for a total of 31 years; President of Highland Jr. High, Hillcrest Elementary, & The Ben Lomond Council and numerous other positions.

1979 - 1983: Ogden Board of Education

1991 - Instrumental in mobilizing citizens to pressure the State to move a proposed 150-bed half-way house from 9th & Washington Blvd. to West Ogden next to I-15, away from homes and children.

1996 - Organized a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) in the area north of Hillcrest to the City limits. The team is still active and has grown to more than 40 members.

1996 - present: LDS Stake Emergency Preparedness Director

2003 - present: Member of the Weber County CERT Council

2005 - present: Volunteer CERT Coordinator for Ogden City

Currently a member of the "Boots N Bunker" Educational Safety Program

Currently State Delegate for Republican Party and Precinct Secretary/Treasurer.

(Served also as Precinct Chair and Vice Chair.)

Member of the Weber County Republican Women’s Organization.

Endorsed by the Ogden Firefighters Association and many others

Be sure to vote November 8! Best Wishes to All the Candidates! Let's have a positive and clean race!

Dorrene

----------------
*Estimate based on attendance records of between two and five million visitors a year to other Smithsonian satellite museums.

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved