Monday, April 17, 2006

Willing to Compromise

By Stuart Carver

I attended the meeting at Wasatch Elementary on April 11th. I want to thank Smart Growth Ogden for organizing the meeting and getting such a great turnout.

"Ask Questions" is a great motto! After listening to the comments made by my neighbors, I too, have questions and concerns.

First of all, I am proud to say Ogden City is where I was born, raised, educated, and live. I am employed in Ogden. I play in Ogden. I hold these mountains and neighborhoods as my own. I've held winter season passes for the last 18 consecutive years. I mountain bike on the shoreline trails religiously. So much so, I find myself ditching out of work for hours at a time because of the strong desire to enjoy the trails or snow. I was even married on the mountain at Snowbasin. I’m raising my children here and I'll be here until the end.

There are several complex issues. I will try to mention some of them and introduce my thoughts. I hope this leads to more questions being asked and potential resolutions.

Something needs to be done about Ogden's economy! Whether it's the gondola or another project the fact remains - something has to be done soon!

The Ogden City School District is closing four schools and reconfiguring all grades due to lack of funding. These measures were taken in an attempt to work with what little (money) the district has. With the scheduled closing of schools students will be moved to other schools including Polk Elementary and Mt. Ogden Middle School. In the next 3-6 years, I will have three children in the Ogden public education system. I am greatly concerned about school issues effecting my kids! Adding more students to schools that operate at full capacity is alarming not to mention it’s our schools being impacted!

Some residents suggested streetcars, or other ground transportation options allowing multiple stops, as alternatives to the gondola. I hate to say it but the residents of the Mt. Ogden neighborhood have proven they are not interested in using mass transportation. This was evident six years ago when UTA cancelled all bus routes east of Harrison Blvd in the Mt. Ogden neighborhood, with the exception of WSU and a courtesy pull in/pull out up 30th to Benedict Manor. Now UTA only services two blocks of our neighborhood. We as residents, including me, didn't utilize the mass transit that was available. In the last six years, I have not seen a single rally or petition to get the bus routes back. Quite the opposite is true. I have heard my neighbors comment they are thrilled noisy stinky buses are not driving past their homes where children play. We just don't miss it and I doubt we'd fully utilize another mass transit system in the future.

I was surprised to hear cheering and applause when a resident mentioned we shouldn't care if Mt. Ogden Golf Course is losing over $320,000 of our tax dollars a year as long as it remains open for our use. We need to care! If the sale of this property isn't what this community wants then let us address this serious draining of our tax dollars now! If the course is wasting that much of our tax dollars it’s another fact we as residents are not utilizing it. If someone is willing to take on that burden for themselves AND keep it open for our use then we should give it serious thought.

I was surprised to hear another resident mention the only new jobs a project like the gondola would bring in are $7.00 an hour service or minimum wage jobs. He questioned why we would want these jobs. Communities need jobs of all levels. When my children reach working age, they are going to be seeking entry-level jobs. I hope they have a wide range of employment options to choose from. I work daily with citizens of this city who struggle finding employment. They are not seeking professional high paying careers. They are seeking service-oriented jobs as a means of getting onto their own feet and contributing to this community. We desperately need more jobs of this level. I welcome any job to the community regardless of pay.

Residents expressed concerns that property values are going to increase making the area too expensive to live. They shared their experiences living out of state and how they chose Ogden because of the affordable price. I can't count the number of times when someone has said, "I wish I had bought a home in St. George (for example) five, ten, or even twenty years ago because it would be worth a fortune now!” As a homeowner in Ogden, I am excited to think we got in while prices were low! I'd be willing to pay an increase in property tax because the value of my home has doubled or tripled! Years from now others may say, “I wish I would have bought in Ogden earlier.” Well, we are already here!

Residents are concerned about secretive meetings, lack of information sharing by government officials, and an overall unknowing and uncertainty to actions directly effecting their way of life. All of which are valid and I share. It can also be said, as Sandra Crosland mentioned in her opening statement at the neighborhood meeting, one needs to do as much research and question asking as possible before making a purchase or investment. In a proposal as big and as expensive as the gondola project it is in Chris Peterson's and the communities best interest to spend time and money researching and collecting accurate detailed information for our questions. With a project this size, there is certainly going to be a lot of activity in the community, such as consulting representatives of city government, gondola experts, and land owners such as WSU. As residents, we are undoubtedly going to hear some bits and pieces of the plan. Some of it will be correct but some will also be just random ideas tossed out to see what's possible - brainstorming. As we react to this information, such as our neighborhood meeting, we are contributing to the process. We are presenting ideas and concerns that haven’t been mentioned or brainstormed before.

I listened to the gondola proposal. I heard the details first hand and not through rumor or emotionally charged postings. I have some fears and I still have a lot of questions but I did learn the following.

The sale of the Mt. Ogden Golf Course does NOT affect Mt. Ogden park. The park will remain open to the public but may see improvements in facilities such as restrooms, playground equipment, and additional trail access for us. The park is still ours!

There will not be a dorm built. The way I understand it, Chris Peterson made this suggestion as a contribution to WSU. WSU reported they didn't need it because they don't use their existing dorms to capacity. The idea was dropped. No dorm.

There will not be road access the mid-mountain resort. Only helicopter, gondola, or foot/ski transportation would be used. The resort would be a self-contained community. A detactable gondola system can also accept other "cars" such as utility/materials cars that can get construction materials up and down the mountain.

I’m a ten year veteran of law enforcement employed by the State of Utah. For the last seven years I have served the citizens of Ogden. I have first hand knowledge of Ogden's blighted neighborhoods, including drug houses, and areas frequented by criminals, some of which are under the proposed gondola path. Increased traffic and lighting will deter crime. Having a gondola overhead may deter crime in its path. The gondola cars will not have glass bottoms and will have privacy screens to afford homeowners underneath some privacy. The occupants view will be more horizontal.

The gondola is not a solution to mass transit. It is designed to connect the downtown with the mountain. It is designed to pull residents, tourists, and others into the heart of Ogden and allow them the opportunity to enjoy our mountains just as we do. As a side benefit, students going to WSU have another transportation option and Ogden residents may spend more time and money in the heart of Ogden. UTA continues service which can supplement the gondola. If additional ground transportation is needed in the future then it too can work in conjunction with the gondola.

The term "Gated community" in this gondola/land sale is misleading. It should be referred to as a "Pedestrian community." The property will remain open and fully accessible to all persons of this city. This includes full use of trails systems. The shoreline trail system as we know it today will be changed. Trails will be re-routed, expanded, and made more accessible. Trails will not be eliminated. The area will be restricted to vehicle traffic, hence "Gated community." Only those residents, owning a home will be allowed to drive within the gates. There will not be a wall or even a fence around the "gated community." It will not effect how we use it by exercise, bikes, hiking, or winter activities. Because this will be a "gated community" all services are the burden of the owner, not the city. It will also allow for narrower streets and larger open space, preserving as much space as possible.

If sold, the Mt. Ogden Golf Course will be changed for the better. Better play-ability. Better lay out and better access. Our public access will not change. In fact, additional trails and access to hiking will be added. Contractual agreements between the city and developer will mandate public access and openness to the course and surrounding land. We'll still have a golf course to use any time we want.

One resident asked, "Why would the elite residents in the gated community want us walking in their neighborhoods?" The proposed future residents of the development are buying a house agreeing to community access. If they don't like it they won’t buy there.

Many have mentioned they don't want the "Elite" in our neighborhoods. Why would we want someone from out of town or out of state buying an expensive vacation home in Ogden? I can't think of a better demographic to pursue! Why? They will be contributing to our tax base and adding money into our system without burdening our social, emergency, and educational systems. The thought of having millions of additional dollars added to our tax base preventing the closure of more schools and the building of economic security is something we need to think about. Seriously think about. I welcome the wealthy vacationing folks who are not adding children into our crowded schools and draining our fund-limited city resources.

Ms. Crosland and many other neighbors testified they came from other areas or states years ago because they fell in love with Ogden and its unique character and charm. They, as Ms. Crosland shared, "listened to advise and decided to live where we love to vacation." Ms. Crosland and others in this neighborhood have an impressive resume of volunteering for this community. Hands down, this is a better place because of their dedication and work. If we as a community can entice folks, just like ourselves, to vacation in Ogden and fall in love, they too may follow their hearts and move here. If they possess just a fraction of the spirit and love for this area their transplanted predecessors have then I see nothing but great and positive things for this city! There is nothing unique about ground transportation – there are thousands of cities with buses, subways, trains, and streetcars. But a gondola system is unique, and perhaps it would be unique enough to entice someone here on vacation.

I am not asking anyone to buy off on the gondola idea "hook, line, and sinker." I am asking you to consider many subjects before making an informed decision. Ask these questions of yourself. How will this affect my neighbor, my block, and the entire city in which I live? It would be real easy for me to make my decision based on how this is going to effect “me." Personally, I'm not happy with the thought of increased traffic on the trails. I don't want my favorite biking trail re-routed. I don't want MY snow tracked up by tourists. I don’t even want it tracked up by other residents here now! It's MY snow! My secret stashes of powder! Mine, mine, mine! I don't want to pay higher ticket prices for my favorite resort! I love the mountain views and don't want them changed. But I also know there is more at stake then just what I want. I want my children to be successful in a safe educational environment that isn't closing schools, bulging classrooms, closing businesses, or experiencing economic decay. I want them to have a choice in jobs. I want them to experience new ideas and diversity from people of all walks of life and backgrounds. I want them to learn the values of coming together as a community to solve a problem and to improve life for all not just themselves. I want a city that will retain an experienced police force to combat crime. I want my overall life to be enhanced.

Years ago season passes at Snowbasin were only $250. With Snowbasin’s development pass prices have rocketed to $795. I don't like it but I still buy one because I make compromises with other expenditures allowing me to continue doing what I love.

The entire Mt. Ogden neighborhood was once itself a proposed development in the foothills of Ogden. Some of the homes behind WSU have been there for 35 years and haven't succombed to landslides.

If we as residents continue to get involved and continue asking questions then we can ensure all processes are followed in the best possible way financially, environmentally, and with greatest benefit to the entire city! We have to recognize compromises are needed in any process dealing with change.

If this community can come up with other viable alternatives for economic growth then let us get the ball rolling! Ogden needs business. Opening a roof top restaurant is a good idea and should be done, unfortunately, that alone will not spark major economic change. Because the gondola is a unique proposal Ogden is receiving phone calls from prestigious businesses wanting to know more. Companies are making an effort to research and "ask questions" about Ogden because a unique idea has sparked their interest in us. It's not naïve to think a unique feature will bring in business because it’s happening now and the response is overwhelming! There are many businesses ready to move to Ogden or open shop in Ogden because of the proposed economic boost a project like this can bring. If business is what you want for Ogden then this idea needs serious thought. I’m certainly interest in seeing where this is headed.

I am willing to make some personal compromises to make my entire city better and I hope my neighbors can do the same regardless of the project.

Thank you,

Stuart Carver

© 2005 - 2017 Weber County Forum™ -- All Rights Reserved